My first attempt at canning was to make Strawberry Jam. I got 22 jars and then froze about 1/2 flat of strawberries for other things. The jam is delicious! YUM! We have already gone through 2 jars and I gave a good friend from work a jar.
An upclose look. Once opened and stirred its the perfect consistency with nice chunky bits of strawberry. Love it!
Friday I am making Raspberry Jam.
Second canning adventure....Cherries.
Aren't these cherries beautiful!
I got 50 lbs of cherries through my sister in law. She lives in a farming community and got them through church for super cheap. The above picture wasn't even half the amount I got. I had already canned about 25 lbs and then gave some to my friend Cheree because she loves to freeze and eat the cherries. That is also super declicious!
The cherries tasted just as good as they look!
I grew up eating canned cherries. It was a favorite in our house in fact. Yum. So wa lah! I got 24 quart jars of canned cherries. Two bags of frozen cherries. and we already had plenty of fresh cherries we snacked on...all from 50 lbs.
They look yummy right?
I have never canned before this year. Nor did I have any interest or intent on canning before this year. In fact, the thought just made me tired. I'm reading this book. It's a fiction book but it is all based around this pandemic that occurs and there aren't any stores open or even any stores with food left. The shelves are all bare. Families are basically going hungry and the government doesnt know when there will be an end. It just makes me think about how I need to be prepared and have food for my family to eat. I don't ever want to see my children hungry. So I decided to start canning. It was a good challenge for me. I'm not completely domesticated in areas like that. I don't garden, I don't really like to cook unless it involves cookie dough, I am not one of those infamous moms that has a great project for her kids to do everyday and then can blog about it.
Canning gives me a sense of accomplishment. When I hear the pop of the lids sealing on my jars once they start to cool....it makes me happy. I have done something with my own hands. I didn't just go pick it off the shelf at the store (though that would be way easier but way less tasty!). It might seem like something so simple to all of you...but knowing myself and how much I don't do these type of things, I've sort of amazed myself. It's a good feeling.
Next up. Friday I'm canning Raspberry Jam. Then later during the summer and fall I am going to do peaches, applesauce, pears, tuna fish (I don't like seafood but home canned tuna I can actually somewhat tolerate), corn, and chicken.
Does that sound like a goal or what! I'm excited :-)
3 comments:
That feeling of accomplishment will last all year! Every time you look at your own canned food in your pantry it will bring that same feeling back.
you are awesome! Reading that made me want to can...especially the part about families starving and the government hoarding, etc. You will have to teach me! Your mom was teaching me how to sew this week. Look at me, I'm a real woman now!
You're awesome, Brooky! I wish I had the drive to do things like this. I only can when I have my mother-in-law around to
'encourage' me and to help.
Post a Comment