The first day of Kindergarten for McKade and the first day of Tanner's second year of Preschool was today! The boys were up and ready to go bright and early this morning. Molly was unfortunately sick today so she didn't get to go to her second day of preschool and she DID NOT want her picture taken.
Just some first day snapshots.
Lining up with his new classmates to go to class.
McKade is going to a small school K - 5th grade. Small classes except for his. He has 31 kids in his K class. Unfortunately they won't split the class unless they get like 36 kids or something. However the way they have it worked out is they utilize two classrooms. McKade's teacher has an assistant who will take half of the class into the 2nd classroom and do social studies and arts and free centers. Then McKade's teacher keeps half of the class and does reading, math, science. They rotate the schedule each day. Sounds confusing to me....but next week there is going to be a parent meeting to explain how everything is going to work. We shall see. We are still very happy about our decision to start McKade this year rather than last year. With his summer birthday and just being a boy and plus not really loving even preschool it seems we made the best choice. When I asked him how school was today, this was his response.
"It was good. I don't really like it. It was so long. I'm not going back tomorrow"...so we have been talking a lot today about why school is important and why he has to go everyday and he will get more used to the schedule as time goes on. (We Hope!) However his new favorite subjects are recess and P.E. (figures!)
I didn't cry. I wasn't even feeling like I was going to cry...then when it was time for us to say goodbye, McKade got a shocked look on his face, then broke into tears and said he thought I was going to stay with him the whole day. Then I wanted to cry and knew I couldn't because it wouldn't help his cause any. And he got through it....I only had to bribe a huge bribe....hehe.
Tanner did his usual. Was super clingy when we first got to his preschool. Teachers Melody and Rachel are both very used to Tanner's theatrics....it was nothing new. Finally we were able to escape the classroom and later when I picked him up, they said the minute we were gone Tanner was his usual fun and goofy self. He will be totally fine this year. Tanner was already taller than all of McKade's classmates. He will be huge by next year when he starts Kindergarten. Right now he is playing soccer, totally loving it, and doing a pretty darn good job for his first year. He scored 4 goals tonight during practice. I hope he can do that in the real game....he would LOVE that!
So now is the start of a whole new section in life....the school days. Not just preschool but the real thing. Homework, sports, parent teacher conferences, making school lunches everyday, seeing what kind of friends the kids make, what their interests are, what they excel in, what they don't like. It's such an exciting adventure watching them grow!
1 comment:
We did the same with Payton. His bday is the middle of August. He was totally ready...but we waited anyway.
I hope this school year is great for you!!
Post a Comment