February 18, 2011

When I was in 2nd grade Mrs. Kavenaugh started reading us the Boxcar Children. I LOVED it from the moment she started reading it. I went home and begged my mom to take me to the library so I could get it and finish it so I wouldn't have to wait for school. I was really excited to find out it was a book series and more than just one book. I kept a lot of books from my child and young teenager life and when we moved to our house now I rediscovered them in a tub. At the time McKade was just a little baby but I remember thinking that I could not wait for the time when we could start reading these books together. The other night I started thinking that now he is 6 and in Kindergarten, maybe we would give it a go. I wasn't sure if he was too young yet but it was worth a try. So we started book #1....


We dove into the story about Henry, Jessie, Violet and Benny on the run because their parents had died and they did not want to go live with their mean old grandfather whom they had never met.

At first I didn't think McKade was really listening because he was looking around the room and he seemed distracted. However, he would occasionally interrupt me and ask me a question like "why was their grandpa mean?" or "all they had to eat was a loaf of bread?" so I knew he was listening since his questions were very pertinent to the book.

I read through one chapter and he begged for another. After two chapter McKade begged to read two more...but it was bedtime. He was so happy about this new book that he wanted to sleep with it by his pillow and the next morning he jumped into the bathroom and exclaimed, "MOM! I love the new book we are reading! I am going to take it for Show & Tell next week"

There are like 127 books in the main boxcar children series. We have a big pile but not nearly all of them. I have collected them here and there while at thrift shops and garage sales. We want to have the whole set...so if anyone is ever thinking of departing with any Boxcar Children books...please let me know! I am thankful we do have a library here so if there is a book we need to check out we can!

I am glad that my kids like to read! I am glad they like to be read too! It opens such a broad range for imagination and exploration. Its fun to read!

No comments: